About Finniss

The seat of Finniss was named after Boyle Travers Finniss (1807-1893) who emigrated to South Australia in 1836 as one of Colonel Light's surveyors. At varies times he occupied the position of Deputy Surveryor-General, Police Commissioner, Legislative Councillor, Colonial Secretary and in 1856 was chosen as the first Chief Secretary and then Premier of the Province. He surveyed southern Fleurieu Peninsula and other areas.
 
Based in the Fleurieu Peninsula, Finniss is comprised of the residential areas and towns of Back Valley, Currency Creek, Encounter Bay, Finniss, Goolwa, Goolwa Beach, Goolwa North, Goolwa South, Hayborough, Hindmarsh Island, Hindmarsh Tiers, Hindmarsh Valley, Inman Valley, Lower Inman Valley, McCracken, Middleton, Mosquito Hill, Mount Compass, Mount Jagged, Mount Observation, Mundoo Island, Nangkita, Port Elliot, Tooperang, Victor Harbour and Waitpinga.